A Veterans Affair (VA) Loan is a home loan designed to help finance homes for Veterans, eligible members of the military, and some surviving spouses. Backed by the government, the VA Loan offers flexible lending guidelines for military members, veterans and some surviving spouses.
Benefits of the VA Home Loan include:
- No down payment
- No private mortgage insurance requirement
- VA rules limit the amount you can be charged for closing costs
- Closing costs may be paid by the seller
- VA may be able to provide you some assistance if you run into difficulty making payments
- You don't have to be a first-time homebuyer
- You can reuse the benefit
Who is eligible for a VA Loan?
To be eligible to apply for a VA Loan, a military member must serve 90 consecutive days on active duty during a time of war, 181 during peacetime, or six years as a reservist.
Where do I start the VA Loan process?
Start by getting pre-approved with your loan officer, who will let you know how much home you can qualify for. Your loan officer can also walk you through the VA loan process from start to finish.
Can I reuse my VA Loan benefit?
Yes. The VA Loan is a lifetime benefit that can be reused multiple times. Qualified buyers can take out multiple loans at once, as long as they do not exceed the VA Loan limit.